Monday, March 24, 2008

Thing #16, Week 7

Wikis...

I know this Thing!!! I became familiar with wikis through a few different sources. The first was Marie Slim's wiki that she put together as part of her TA quasi-curriculum concurrent session at CSLA. Then, I checked out Heather Gruenthal's wiki after the conference that she put together about book genre displays. Then, Jane Lofton created a wiki that I got to use for the Southern Section Workshop.

I felt pretty good two weeks ago when the five high school librarians in my district were given the assignment of rewriting our library handbook. I offered to set up a wiki to help get our project started. Everyone has had a chance to work on their sections and they all seem to really like that we can add information at our convenience instead of trying to schedule a time for all of us to meet. Each of them have told me that they really like using the wiki, that it is very user friendly, and that it was a great idea to approach our handbook in this manner. Right now we are just compiling information for the handbook, but in a few weeks we will decide what we want in it. When that time comes, we can just print out the pages and go from there.

I love wikis!! Check mine out at http://libraryhandbook.pbwiki.com/ (password/key: cnusd).

2 comments:

Library Lady said...

Hi Norco, Way to go! I'm jealous! I created a wiki for the five teacher librarians in our district, but they did not want to use it because they cannot get to it from work or using the our district email. We do a lot of collaborating via email and I thought the wiki would be more creative and fun for everyone.

I tried to get into yours, but I need a user name as well as the password you provided.

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Wow! Your Library Handbook wiki is very nice! Well done Norco High!