Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thing #11, Week 5

Exploring Web 2.0 Award Winners...

I started with the short list of award winners, luckily, because I ended up spending way more time with this than I thought I would. Each site has so much to offer that it is hard to believe that most of them are free. I was familiar with several of the sites already, even before starting SLL 2.0. I didn't know before that they were considered tools as part of Web 2.0. I've used Craigslist before, I have used Flickr as part of SLL 2.0 and had heard of it before starting the Things, I of course had used Youtube, I have been a fan of zillow for quite awhile now, and I learned about Writeboard earlier this year at a workshop. It was neat to see how familiar with things I am - I felt smart and techy!

A new site that really sucked me in was Onesentence.com. I started with the first and couldn't stop myself! Instantly I thought this would be a great starting point for creative writing assignments or for reluctant readers who don't want to read a whole book (who has time for that!) but could get hooked on some of the one-liners.

I checked out Ning.com and found lots of communities for librarians - we sure are a social group! I am not able to join or look into communities from school, so this will be one that I explore more on my own. The TravelIQ site was down for maintenance, so I will also have to put that on my "to-do" list and revisit it at another time.

I've bookmarked to 2.0 Awards site so that I can spend more time checking out the winners at a later date (probably after April 1st!). Another fun learning experience that I plan on sharing with my colleagues.

No comments: