Monday, March 24, 2008

Thing #15, Week 6

The Future of Libraries...

I read three articles, and found the "Away from the 'iceberg'" article the most interesting and relevent to my library. I agree wholeheartedly that we need to reconsider the need for a huge print library. I have this problem now! It is impossible to plan and purchase books for student research when teacher assignments and standards change at the drop of a hat. I spend so much money on books that often just sit on the shelf because students would rather do their research using the Internet. That money would be better invested in purchasing technology that would support student learning in other areas.

I also agree that we need to focus our energy on showing patrons how to use information wisely and not spend so much time teaching research skills. The more savvy patrons are at navagating through technology, the easier it is for them to find the information they need. Over the years, I have taught students again and again how to open and use OPAC in the library. It seemed like they could never remember, or care to for that matter. We switched over to Destiny last year and the students seem to be able to use it so much easier. The interface resembles a webpage and it is web based, so it is in a format that they are comfortable with and want to use. The program is basically the same, but it is presented in a way that they prefer. Funny, huh.

The article ends with stating that we need to find ways to make our services more appealing to patrons so that they will want to visit the library. One of the other articles talked about making the library a place for people to come and be comfortable, and I have found that that is the biggest draw for my library. Students know that they can come in and have down time. They can put their heads down on a table and escape all of the noise and busy-ness of the school, or they can use computers to email friends or post on their blogs. They can come in and chat with me, pick up a magazine, or just listen to their ipods. It can be a techy place or a carefree place. I think the environment is so important for patrons, and the more comfortable they are in the library, the more that they will want to visit in their spare time.

The articles were interesting, although some were still over my head!! I am trying to become more adept at the 2.0 lingo, but I know there is still soooo much more for me to learn. I've added the website to my deli.cio.us so I can check back at a later date and reread some of the articles to see if they make more sense as learn more.

No comments: