Monday, March 31, 2008

Thing #22, Week 9

eBooks...

I am so impressed with LibriVox and the Gutenburg Project. What wonderful sites, there just to provide books to people with no strings attached. Although the Gutenburg site does ask for donations, the LibriVox site states that they do not need any money. They do ask for volunteers to read texts, something that I would love to do over summer when I have more free time. This is also something that I want to share with our ASB and AVID classes as a possible community service project for our seniors who always need ideas for service.

Teachers are like audio books, especially for the ESL students. Now, I can direct them to these sites and hope they find the text they are looking for. If not, it seems that there are plenty of other ebooks to download and listen to. Maybe the teachers would even consider recording a text for future use.

I never knew that there were so many free books available from sites like these. I had used Bartleby's before, but Gutenberg seems much more extensive in what they offer, and to have the audio portion as well, it seems like a librarian's dream come true!

No comments: