Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thing #8, Week 4

RSS Feeds...

I chose to set up google reader for my aggregator mainly because it is one less password that I have to remember. I saw Marie access her google reader at the Southern Section workshop a few weekends ago and wondered what it was and I had seen the RSS symbol on many sites, including our new school website. Now I know what it means and how to use it.

I linked to my five RSS feeds... Foxnews, Unshelved, Librarian's Guide to Etiquette, Scrapbook Ideas, and Perez Hilton (my secret vice!). It's great to see all of the new stories updated in such a quick to view screen instead of going site by site to find new stories. It's another way to sort and organize all of the information we have coming at us so fast and furious.

I'm not sure how to use RSS Feeds for my students. I could see maybe AVID/College bound students linking to school sites for updated information or to the FAFSA site if it does RSS Feeds. I'll have to ponder ways to use this more with the general population or I would love to hear ideas from other librarians on how they use this tool with students.

I'm sure I will be adding many more RSS feeds to my reader very soon. I am anxious to play with it more and streamline it so that it becomes as second nature as email and blogging! :o)

1 comment:

Marie Slim said...

Oh - you are using Google Reader. I do like it a lot. My secret vice is Defamer.com

I too am wondering about the use of RSS feeds among students. Please do post what you find.